Incorporated in 1906, Glendale purchased its electric utility in 1909, obtaining power from outside suppliers. In 1937, it began receiving power from the Hoover Dam and inaugerated the first of its own steam generating plant units with 260 MW of gas-fired steam and combustion generating capacity. Glendale Water & Power (GWP) has a diversified portfolio that also includes coal, nuclear, and hydro generating resources, as well as a comprehensive renewables resource program comprised of landfill gas, wind, and geothermal projects. Today, GWP provides reliable electric services to over 86,700 residential, commercial, and industrial customers within a 31 square mile area. GWP continues to invest in improving the system infrastructure to ensure its long-term reliability. Our vision is to provide our customers with reliable and sustainable water and power services that are cost-effective and innovative.
Chart portrays the number of SCPPA projects Glendale participates in
TraditionalMagnoliaPalo Verde San Juan Unit 3TransmissionMead-Adelanto
Mead-Phoenix Southern Transmission System Gas PinedalePrepaidGeothermalOrmat Heber South WindPebble SpringsHydroTieton